« Virtual Worlds Workshop at Indiana University | Main | State of Play 6 »

Jun 12, 2009

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a00d8341c022953ef0115700b86c3970c

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Functional Governance :

Comments

1.

I think the flaw in this argument is to see "media and technological practices" as objects, rather than agents, of governance.

In other words: if policy wants to play a meaningful role in the world of "convergent media" it'll have to shift to many2many.

Otherwise, we end up with a neo-feudalist global society with "benign dictatorships" (@dingstweets) throwing their weight around.

Obviously, people like Alexander Galloway, Ned Rossiter, and Tiziana Terranova have expressed this much more succinctly.

"The framework I propose is wholly neutral." I understand why you say that, but it's not.

First and foremost, the term and the concept of a "function" is not neutral, and it's impossible to define a function globally.

But even if we were able to define a function globally, these functions would serve different, um, functions in different systems.

In other words, you are in danger of turning this into a neo-colonial, technocratic enterprise. Sorry to spoil the party.

[Reposted from twitter.com/cucchiaio]

2.

Julian,
Thanks – ok, more nuance.

First some background on the context of the post. I spend an increasing amount of time with policy makers and regulators at both national and international levels. Much of the discourse there focuses on the assumed need to be seen to be regulating something. This translates into an application of regulatory models forged in mechanical and none-digital-electric ages to the landscape we see today. This is cashed out in terms of seeing things like web sites, games and more recently Social Networking Sites as the things that can be controlled using the techniques and bodies of top down, static-content-based regulation.

I want to provide some counter to this.


> I think the flaw in this argument is to see "media and technological practices" as objects, rather than agents, of governance.

If I understand this correctly think they are both, though I have probably not addressed this adequately in my thoughts. The two ways in which I have tired to be cognizant of it are:

1/ By acknowledging that affordances in technology contribute to shaping practices; and by suggesting that one tool of governance would be to be more transparent in the way they are documented. To take the YouTube example the ‘algorithmic’ nature of their ranking system is not merely but actively regulating user behavior – I want such things to be considered more by all actors.

2/ I also think that self-norming of individuals and groups that we see on the net is something that should be take on board by those that are quick to apply top down regulation. That, in fact, no part of the internet is ‘not regulated’ is simply might not be regulated by ‘you’ or something who you feel is capable or correct


> In other words: if policy wants to play a meaningful role in the world of "convergent media" it'll have to shift to many2many.

I think I’m suggesting a blending.


> Otherwise, we end up with a neo-feudalist global society with "benign dictatorships" (@dingstweets) throwing their weight around.

Well, we have a world of state and non-state actors throwing their weight around, I’m just suggesting that if they are going to throw it (which the are) they can target the throwing a lot better. The relationship between things like state actors, technologies (including things like OpenSource peer-to-peer) ones that is complex constantly shifting. I think the addition of this ‘sideways look’ will help.


> Obviously, people like Alexander Galloway, Ned Rossiter, and Tiziana Terranova have expressed this much more succinctly.

I get the feeling I should read Galloway’s Protocol and other stuff again (oddly I’d forgotten about Galloway when I wrote the post).


>"The framework I propose is wholly neutral." I understand why you say that, but it's not.

OK, that was lazy. It’s neutral in respect to some of its potential applications.


>First and foremost, the term and the concept of a "function" is not neutral, and it's impossible to define a function globally.

I do acknowledge that definition by Function will be approximate and Partial, I just think it’s a better approximation in the context of the Internet than the ones currently used.

>But even if we were able to define a function globally, these functions would serve different, um, functions in different systems.

Yes. The question is whether they can do useful work before they break down and become too particular. At the level of international regulatory discourse I think they are a better or at the very least an alternative to the ones applied at present e.g. ‘web site’, ‘social network site’.


>In other words, you are in danger of turning this into a neo-colonial, technocratic enterprise.

I need to use that as a sub-title if I write a paper on this :)


>Sorry to spoil the party

3.

"... the assumed need to be seen to be regulating something." Yeh, this is precisely the problem: from a systems theory point of view regulatory bodies follow an autopoietic vector that leads to an increasing self-reflexivity. This doesn't allow them to see anything in non-regulatory terms. It's this binary way of thinking that needs to be tackled in order to move forward.

In regard to what you say about functions and transparency, I think the basic problem is that political apathy spans the real/virtual divide (just take a look at the failed fb governance initiative, which however misguided and simulacrean provided the opportunity for an antagonistic engagement with a "benign dictatorship"). In other words, there is as little interest in the increasing surveillance of public space as there is in ranking algorithms.


I agree with what you say about how forms of self-regulation (however well they serve the subjects of regulation) are perceived as non-regulated by regulatory bodies and that we need a blending of top-down and bottom-up approaches. However, there is a danger that this will be attempted within a consensual rather than an antagonistic paradigm which will brush the inherent differences between policy makers and subjects of policy under the carpet of multi-stakeholderism.

As far as "international regulatory discourse" is concerned, I fear that this is but a thinly veiled euphemism for powerful state actors throwing their weight around, just like WIPO serves US interests when it comes to extending the reach of copyright. If I knew a way to circumvent or disrupt this I wouldn't be sitting on my ass writing comments, but go out there and do it, but for the time being I remain unenlightened, so, for better or for worse, we can continue this conversation.

4.

One of the functions that seems to be missing is "nesting".

Example: suppose that I create a game world set in the period of the Three Musketeers. However, I don't program it all myself, I use a tool such a Metaplace to help me do it. Only, I decide not to use Metaplace directly, I use a version of it that someone has implented as an island in Second Life.

There are a bunch of functions you mention here (eg. RMT may be allowed in SL, restricted in ersatz-Metaplace and forbidden in 3Musketeers, for their respective currencies). However, there isn't anything that addresses the relationship between the different worlds.

Needless to say, having formulated such a new "nesting" function, it can logically be applied to the relationship between SL and the real world; this isn't necessarily something which which real world regulators will necessarily be comfortable.

Richard

5.

I guess I'd see nesting as a relation between Functions. Though I think I need to think about that because I suppose it could be something with properties in and of itself.

6.

1. "But even if we were able to define a function globally, these functions would serve different, um, functions in different systems."

What function requires functions to serve different functions in different systems?

2. If "nesting" is placing something within something, then "contextualizing" is placing something around something. I prefer "contextualizing" as the primary function and "nesting" as a derivative function.

3. One primary function is "contextualizing," which might also be considered "positioning." The other primary function is then "oppositioning," which might also be considered "decontextualizing."

(E. g. "Oppositioning" would be Julian's function.)

4. Wtf is going on with this forum's comment function squinching everything together in the middle of the page with weird spacing and making me not want to read it like at all ever? Function-think globally, function-act locally.

7.

I know you guys don't always keep up to date with the latest; but EVE Online just had a second case of embezzlement which resulted in a real-world $6,000 USD theft on it's largest player-run Bank that includes a governing Board of Directors, Staff, a CEO, and a Chairman.

This is the second Bank it's happened to and both Banks have managed to survive both the theft and the panic of depositors who became anxious about their funds. There is no central bank or regulation in EVE, it is a pure free market and while the Banks sometimes cooperate with each other....it's all based purely on trust.

The news story documenting this can be found on the New York Times and the Telegraph in the UK.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/15/business/15views.html?_r=1&ref=business

CCP's resident Economist has indicated that no assistance from CCP is forthcoming....in other words; no virtual bailouts.

8.

Hexxx >> I know you guys don't always keep up to date with the latest; but EVE Online …

A few of us here follow EvE Online.

>> just had a second case of embezzlement which resulted in a real-world $6,000 USD theft on it's largest player-run Bank that includes a governing Board of Directors, Staff, a CEO, and a Chairman.

Well CCP maintain a very strong line on the EvE economy being strictly closed, thus they would argue that what ever occurred did not and can not result in a ‘real-world’ theft or loss. i.e. there is no spoon.

9.

@ Ren Reynolds

There may be no spoon, but there was a perma-ban for the EULA breach of converting in-game currency into RL currency.

So, maybe we can say this is a spork?

As for my EVE Online comment; based on my previous discussion with Castranova, he appears completely disinterested in EVE because it "promotes war" and in some way this makes it unworthy to discuss in an academic fashion.

What other MMO endorses unbridled anarcho-capitalism to this disagree? There are no equivalents to my knowledge.


10.

Dave > There may be no spoon, but there was a perma-ban for the EULA breach of converting in-game currency into RL currency.

> So, maybe we can say this is a spork?

No. To maintain the truth of no-spoon VW companies have to, and have to be seen to, take action against anyone that breaches this. Thus it confirms the no-spoonness.


> As for my EVE Online comment; based on my previous discussion with Castranova, he appears completely disinterested in EVE because it "promotes war" and in some way this makes it unworthy to discuss in an academic fashion.

I don’t know his views on the subject so can’t comment on them. However I’d suggest that EvE is possibly the most complex game ever created. Also CCP does not promote ‘war’ as such, the game is sand-pit everyone could not war if they wanted. OK OK big ships big guns – what else you gonna do.

> What other MMO endorses unbridled anarcho-capitalism to this disagree?

EvE is one of the many unique examples of what they do.

11.

Hexxx>EVE Online just had a second case of embezzlement which resulted in a real-world $6,000 USD theft

At the risk of derailing Ren's thread...

No-one stole $6,000 of real money. They may have used the rules of EVE to transfer ISK from one account to another account, and then sold this ISK for real money. No theft went on, though, any more than theft goes on if you win the pot in a poker game.

If the individual concerned had not cashed the ISK in for dollars, would there have been a "real-world $6,000" theft?

Richard

12.

From the engineer's level, what you're talking about sounds like "aspect-oriented policy".

Aspect-Oriented Programming was a buzzword roughly a decade ago that said "We have these cross-cutting concerns that crop up all over our software systems, and in project after project; how can we (efficiently) implement them once and manage them in a controlled fashion, instead of having that implementatuon & management scattered all over the place and hard to assess?" This got the most attention when thinking about security, or its facets (permissions, encryption, ...) as Aspects.

The comments to this entry are closed.